[plug] DVD burners

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat May 10 17:01:07 WST 2003

Hi all,

Just bought a DVD burner and am not sure how to make it go.  I tried
it in Windows first, but after loading the driver, my Windows 2000
system now refuses to boot and instead displays a pretty blue "** STOP:
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" screen.  Having given up on Win2K as a bad
joke for the time being (and added "reinstall Windows" to my mental
to-do list), I've tried to get it going under Debian.

1) 'twas advertised by PLE as a 12x4x2 DVD burner.  Cdrecord recognises
it as 4x read and 2x write for DVD and 32x read and 16x write for CD.
Have I been ripped off or is cdrecord faulty?  Dmesg indicates that it's
a TEAC DV-W50E v1.10; tomshardware.com has a review of the TEAC DV-W50E
with firmware 1.10 - it is the fastest of the 4x DVD burners that they
reviewed.  Bizarre.

2) Cdrecord spits out a message about the Debian version not containing
the DVD burning code for legal reasons.  Aieee!  Anyone know where to
get something that works?

3) Do data DVDs use the same (ISO9660) filesystem as CDs, or something else?
i.e. is mkisofs still the Right Thing to use?

4) Can you burn video DVDs under Linux?

TIA,

Cameron.