[plug] RH 9 instal problems

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Mon May 12 14:22:00 WST 2003

Bret Busby wrote:

>It is unfortunate that RH Linux appears to have lost the principle of
>being able to run on older hardware.

Well it goes without saying that if you want more features (i.e. bloat)
and eye candy looking things in your GUI, as it gets larger, its going
to run slower and slower on old systems.

>I suppose we'll just have to stick with running RH 6.2 on the server.

You wanted to run a GUI on a server?!  No offence.. but that seems a bit
absurd to me.

>Sounds a bit like MS; "If you want to run our OS, then you will have to
>upgrade to the latest hardware!".

If you want more graphically pleasing GUI interfaces, then yes.  Its
only the way they have configured certain things that require more
RAM/CPU (particularly the GUI stuff).  The underlying system doesn't care.

/ Ben