[plug] Virtual Console with ssh

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Mon May 12 16:37:28 WST 2003

At 02:03 pm Monday 12 0503, you wrote:
>In message <5.2.1.1.0.20030512122421.00b33298 at mail.ilisys.com.au>
>on Mon, May 12, 2003 at 12:28:15PM +0800, Rob Davies wrote:
> > Is it possible to login remotely via ssh into a specific virtual
> console or
> > change terminal once logged in ie alt+f key when in command line mode, I
> > have tried with no success.

I have a couple of mail servers that are in testing mode, for logging
purposes I have auth and mail running on tty9 and tty10. Due to brain fade
which seems to be happening since 40 I cannot remember how I used to access
remotely. SSH drops me into a terminal, but I cannot switch terminals, I
know I am missing the point somewhere.

>I don't know much about Intel-based computers so I can't answer your
>question directly, but I do wonder why you are asking. If you just
>want to multiplex your terminal, use software such as screen
><http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/screen/index.php3>.

Have not tried before, but looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com
ICQ:10432219

' To converse is one strategy that separates us, from the Apes.'