sharing e-mail addresses (was Re: [plug] Prevent downloads)

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Mon May 12 17:30:33 WST 2003

James Elliott wrote:

>Hi Tim
>
>Thanks for your question about e-mail sharing.  I just checked my D-Link
>gateway's home page and cannot find a set-up menu for mail sharing, so I
>think it must have been the Alloy gateways I have installed that offer that
>feature.
>
>How does it work?
>
>I wrote a long and detailed explanation and then realised that it was flawed
>with regard to "How does and outsider send an e-mail to an individual on the
>LAN" ...  I mean, the Gateway can make up 50 internal mail addresses, but
>the ISP is not going to recognise them.
>
>I have written (e-mailed) Alloy and will pass on their reply when it
>arrives.
>
>Kind regards,  James Elliott

A few years ago I had to set up some windows mail software that tried to
support multiple internal addresses over one public email address.  The
idea was that mail addressed to bob<abc at isp.com> went to bob at localmail
while mail to alice<abc at isp.com> went to alice at localmail and so on.
 Sort of worked but was very fragile.  Perhaps this is something like
what you were looking at?

Now that multimple mail boxes with an isp are so cheap the best bet is
probably something like bob_abc at isp.com, alice_abc at isp.com and so on.

Just my 2c,

Tim Bowden