[plug] RH 9 instal problems

Andrea Di Clemente adc_ml at applicom.it
Mon May 12 17:12:04 WST 2003

At 12.11 12/05/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>So, has anyone managed to succesfully instal RH 9, using the text-based
>instal? And, can someone please advise how to (from the command line)
>instal the network card device driver and configure the network?
>Usually, this kind of stuff can be done graphically, but it appears that
>the graphics have become to big in RH 9, to make XWindows useable on
>32MB RAM.

Never tried RH 9 yet, but...
- have a look at the chipset on the network card
- find out what is the name of the module (driver) for that card
- try modprobe <modulename>

if it's an old non plug&play card, you'll have to specify the port and IRQ
numbers as parameters, like io=0x300 irq=5

after you've loaded the correct module (or modules, for example the very
common (in old cards) "ne" module needs the "8390" module to be loaded
first) you can proceed with the ifconfig command to bring the card "up" and
assign ip/netmask

After that, you can put the info in /etc/modules.conf, for example:

--------------------
alias eth0 3c501
options eth0 -o 3c501-0 io=0x300 irq=5

If I remember well, there is a file /etc/sysconfig/network and some scripts
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to automate the process at boot time

BTW, what are you going to do with that machine? A gateway or firewall for
your lan? web server? file server?

hope it helps
ciao,
Andrea