[plug] users cannot access internet

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon May 12 20:09:50 WST 2003

> The fact that you cannot ping past the modem is a worry - usually, even if
> the MTU is too big you can still ping your ISP.

When Telstra's broken network is involved, I would find it only a small
stretch of the imagination to think that an ICMP ECHO could be large
enough to hit MTU problems. This is, after all, /Telstra/. If it can be
done wrong....

I do remember having to reduce the MTUs of my client machines and
gateway when I was (briefly) on Telstra cable years ago. Seemed to
help... but Telstra solved the problem nicely by trying to rip me off
shortly afterwards.

Craig