[plug] adding attachments

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 13 10:40:48 WST 2003

Jon Miller wrote:
> I need to either add an attachment or pipe the results of a command to
> an email that is run via cron.
> For instance I want the results from a command to be in the content of
> an e-mail that I have the system send to me.

If you need to add an attachment, there is a way of doing it in the body
of an email - UGLY WARNING.

Simply uuencode the attachment and dump it into the body of the message.
Many mailers will recognise and decode it, but many won't - its a /very/
old (pre-MIME) way of sending files over email. Works, though - I have
to use it occasionally on a SCO box (which doesn't have a MIME-capable
mailer).

Craig