[plug] new spam record for me

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Tue May 13 15:36:21 WST 2003

Hi again Tim

You can have a completely new e-mail address that you have never used, and
still get spam.

I just paid Westnet an additional $10 a year to invoke their spam filter on
all my e-mail accounts and the spam has almost stopped.

Mail from [plug] will not be stopped because it is from a 'subscriber only'
list ... ie, if you are not a member you can't post a message.  However
there are many 'open' lists where anyone can post a message, and all you
need is a robot making up addresses like
jelliott at isp.com.au
jaelliott at isp.com.au
jbelliott at isp.com.au
.... and they will eventually get to you

Thre are other ways in which they can spam all the users of a particular
server, but I don't know the mechanics of that approach.

One friend of mine has one of those unique names ... the only one in the
world.  So she can have firstname.secondname at anyISP.com
She never receives spam.

Kind regards,
James