[plug] new spam record for me

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue May 13 17:14:58 WST 2003

Right now a client of mine is getting a flood of emails from yahoo aol, etc.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 07:31:39AM +0800, Weirdo wrote:

> At 05:34 PM 12/05/2003 +0800, you wrote:
> >On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:35:09PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> Friday 16:00 to today 09:00, one mailbox (not including mailing
> >> lists split out), 388 messages, 3 of them real (the other 385
> >> spam!). Time to whack in a spam filter, methinks.
> >
> >You're lucky.

> >I have 8 email addresses (that I can remember!) and my daily spam
> >attempts probably average between 1000 and 2000 - worse on weekends.
> >0.1% get through my rather aggressive filters. :-(

> Why do u people get so much spam?

We don't top-post. :-)

> Unless you publish your address on many web pages and don't use 2
> emails address (one for real mail and one for web pages) this
> seams like a lot of spam. On average I get 5 spam messages
> spread over about 7 accounts.

Two of my email addresses are pre-1990. They appear in Usenet
archives... many, many hits possible. :-(

I shed two addresses 4 years ago, and *they* still get spammed.

I choose not to cower in a corner because it's criminals that abuse
my name (and addresses).

Trying to *hide* is only a temporary workaround. It inconveniences
legitimate users. And you have to find a new address every year or
couple of months because the real one has leaked onto some list.

The only permanent solution is a sociological one... although a high
proportion of spam is from outside Australia, we can start by
throwing "our" spammers in the soylent-green fermentation vats.