[plug] ADSL problems

Hook hooker at iinet.net.au
Thu May 15 14:59:46 WST 2003

Thing is, DDOS attacks have the capability to swamp *any* mail setup. iiNet
have multiple servers - perhaps if they had 100 they'd be able to block the
source address before they all got drowned, but with DDOS as opposed to DOS,
even that's unlikely. And they don't have 100 mail servers :-)

Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Recently the DSL network has had some major problems (Telstra side), but
> > this mornings prob, one off iiNet's routers had a config problem,
yesterday
> > some nice little ^$&^$ descided to DoS the iiNet mail network, which
caused
> > some major head-aches, this was not iiNet's fault and their upstream
> > provider blocked the source.
>
> The DoS, while not iiNet's fault, shows a problem with their mail
> servers - they just don't have the capacity to deal with mailbombing
> etc. This /will/ happen to an ISP, and while I'd love to string up the
> little turds responsible by their little toes (or somewhere even less
> comfortable) and leave them there, it won't stop the problem. If iiNet's
> servers get attacked, then even after the attack is blocked it can take
> DAYS to get back to normal function.
>
> For that reason, I gave up on their mailservers entirely in favour of
> locally hosted mail. They were mailhosting for our domain, so all it
> took was switching the MX. Its made life /so/ much easier... now if only
> mx1 and mx2.iinet.net.au (which we use as backup MXes) would support
> ETRN so I could force delivery after DSL outages....

Doesn't that make your servers directly vulnerable? Although you're clearly
a smaller target than iiNet of course.

Hook