[plug] ADSL problems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 15 16:03:19 WST 2003

> "As usual, the problem is worst at the Subiaco
> exchange."
>
> Are you saying there is a lot of problems with DSL in
> subi? I am living in the area, and have started
> thinking about getting DSL so I am just curious.

I've had bad experiences at work, but then I care a lot about a 1/2 day
outage. A _LOT_. Outages are relatively rare, and my DSL service runs
reliably most of the time (though not as well as my home DSL, which is
in the Rivervale area and with WestNet) but they take a lot longer to
fix than I'd like. Most of the prolonged problems have turned out to be
Telstra, usually problems with Wellington St Exchange and Subi exchange.

If you're getting DSL for home, don't stress. But given a choice, I'd
move to something other than DSL for business in the Subi area. (Note:
128k ISDN is not an acceptable option when you have 50mb TIFFs coming in
all the time).

Craig