[plug] Linux on Sun

levsky at rave.iinet.net.au levsky at rave.iinet.net.au
Thu May 15 20:22:36 WST 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:09:07PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:03:59 +0800 "Andrew Carson" <acarson at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to give a (rather belated) big thankyou to those who gave some
> > input to this one.. as it turns out, the guy who wanted the FW ended up
> > putting together a rackmount Intel box instead of utilising the spare SUN
> > box he had :|
>
> His loss. Script kiddie scripts are mainly i386 sploits aren't they ?
> For that reason, I'd have thought a sparc firewall would be a far more
> robust.

Against your typical script kiddie, almost certainly - their chances
of writing some sparc shellcode would be pretty minimal, although their
chances of grafting some from another source into the existing sploit
might be higher.  I'm running a MIPS firewall at the moment, but that's
mostly for geek factor than any security reason - the firewall runs no
services from outside so your typical remotehost rootshell exploit would
have difficulty finding a vector.

Cheers

Mark

--
Let us go then you and I,
As the patient is stretched out against the sky