[plug] Probably somewhat significant...

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu May 15 23:12:53 WST 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:59:19PM +0800, Kai wrote:
> Ville Johansson wrote:
> >>Yep, did you notice the subtly worded bit where they said that
> >>the end-user couls also be held responsible if they are using
> >>"misappropriated" code.  They may or may not win, but Linux may

Which of course is entirely specious. If the end user is able to
discern what is proprietary secret, then they know that secret
already which can happen only by legitimate licensing. Unless
there's a prior other crime.

Sorry SCO. How am I supposed to tell what's proprietary?

> >>lose big time in business. Wonder whether a certain Redmond,
> >>Washington based company set them up to it?

> >I don't want to sound like a conspiration theorist, but I'm also
> >starting to wonder if a certain Redmond based company is somehow
> >involved. I mean, what can SCO gain from this in the long run?
> >Even if they manage to get some cash out of somebody, the
> >offending lines of code will be replaced with "legal" ones. And
> >their reputation will probably not get any better by this. IANAL,
> >but the chances of actually winning in court are also pretty
> >slim.
> >
> >$0.05
>
> .....and this kinda co-incides with it:

> The plot thickens.

I'd love it if some governments with savvy managed to get all their
Microsoft software free of charge; and then went and installed open
software such as Linux instead.

"Oh, yes... we're using your product to feed the rats in the
 basement. We expect them to be eradicated pretty soon."

As for evading the EU's prying eyes... Microsoft can expect to be in
very deep manure in Europe if they try to subvert the system. EVen
the Europeans can't get away with it. Companies such as Volkswagen
are paying dearly for any local tax breaks and incentives they
received for building factories in some areas.