[plug] What was that? (firewall breached?)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 16 12:09:17 WST 2003

>>>Too bad the shell doesn't have anything like Python's try blocks.
>>
>>What makes you say that?
>
> Ooops, I didn't quote very well. I meant "what makes you say 'the shell
> doesn't have anything like Python's try blocks'", not "what makes you say
> 'too bad'".

Perhaps ignorance, if it does in fact have such structures. I've never
seen them used in any shell scripting, nor heard mention of them before,
but if there's a facility like that available in common shells I'll be
glad to hear of it. In fairness I should've said 'bash' not 'the shell'
since for all I know tcsh for example may have better scripting
features. (Its certainly got a nicer syntax - I refused to use anything
but csh for years after first getting access to UNIX, because
berkley-shell derived shells had syntax that just didn't make any sense
to me).

So ... how do you do it, if it can be done?

Craig