[plug] ext2 filesystem on a file?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat May 17 11:18:52 WST 2003

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 10:50:29AM +0800, Jan Hurst wrote:
| but wouldn't it be close to the normal speed of the hard disk? (give or
| take software raid overheads?)

I would have thought that seeking every 32kb (or thereabouts) chunk of
data would grind the drive horribly.  If we assume the drive can read at
32000 kb/s and has a seek time of 10ms, it would take 11ms to read 32kb
and seek to the other file.  That would reduce the overall transfer rate
to around 2.9 mb/s, or about a tenth of normal speed for a 7200rpm
drive.

| i don't think any increased performance is what hes interested in, just
| overcoming a 2Gb limit :)

Fair enough, 'twas just an observation (-:  [1]

Cameron.

[1] Do I owe licensing fees to Leon for use of the backwards smiley or
is it freely available for use by left-handers?  :-P