[plug] OpenOffice quicklaunch

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat May 17 17:48:26 WST 2003

> That's it my next machine is going to have nothing less than a 800mhz
> FSB and be using SATA drives with DDR400 RAM.

SATA is mainly nice because of its hot-pluggability, nice-to-work-with
cabling, airflow improvements, and lack of reliance on the awful
"master/slave" scheme. The speed just isn't much of a benefit, and quite
frankly I don't think there will be a drive that can properly flood
ATA100 before SATA rev 2 comes out at 300+mbps.

The thing you'll really want is 10k RPM SATA drives, if you can stand
the noise and heat. Look at Western Digital's "Raptor" series for
example. Ooooh... 5 year warranty, too :-)

As for the FSB - 200MHz quad-pumped is impressive, but given the P4's
FSB-wasting ways its not as impressive as it sounds. Ahead of the
competition (ie 200MHz double-pumped from AMD), but not all that much
ahead considering the differences in actual utilization. Or so I gather,
anyway....