[plug] Serial ATA

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun May 18 00:18:10 WST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 23:26, Craig Ringer wrote:
>   > Are PCI-X and PCI express different standards?
>
> AFAIK, yes. After all, where would we be without competing standards
> with various vendors committed totally to one or the other? *sigh*.

I think that PCI express thing is part of this program at Intel to get
rid of the legacy (what we are using now that apparently hasn't changed
since the 286) PC architecture.

It includes other wacky stuff like having a sector of your HD setup with
BIOS type info instead of having a bios.I imagine this will have
advantages and dis-advantages but I dunno what they expect us to do for
thin-clients. I tend to like that I can test a PC even if it doesn't
have a (working) HD.

regards,

Chris