[plug] netmeeting

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun May 18 12:27:44 WST 2003

Thanks Steve,
The site is up, so I'll have a look around.
Michael H. the script from the site you pointed me to is okay at least I got the video going.  I just need to get the audio.

Thanks guys,

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

Jon Miller wrote:
> I should have asked if anyone has used NM, thru a iptables firewall and if so which ports did they have to open to get both video and audio to work.  I have a Linux iptable firewall running.

The H.323 protocol that these programs (NetMeeting, GnoMeeting, etc) use
open a control connection on port 1720, then use that connection to
negotiate which other ports they will use for the video and audio
connections.  These other ports are chosen at random, so you can't
easily program iptables rules for them (other than 'forward everything',
which kind of defeats the purpose).

You need to have an application proxy that can sit on the firewall and
handle H.323 connections for you.  The Checkpoint Firewall-1 product has
one, which works fine.  A group called openh323.org (I think) had a
product called 'phonepatch' a while back which worked OK (I had it going
on Linux) and it also functioned as a H.323 gateway, since inbound calls
to a NATted network get confusing - who is the call for?  The gateway
presents a directory and asks who you want to contact, and routes the
call to that person.

I don't know what they have been doing with it recently.  There was not
much going on the last time I checked, and I just tried to go to the
http://www.openh323.org website and there was no response.

Regards,
Steve