[plug] CUPS remote administration

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Mon May 19 12:25:18 WST 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 12:09 pm, Tim Bowden wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I am trying to set up a cups printer on a remote server.  How do I
> change the setup to allow admin requests from any address on the lan and
> not just localhost?  I have tried playing around with the 'listen'
> config variable in cupsd.conf but I constantly get an error in the cups
> error log file: StartListening: Unable to bind socket - Cannot assign
> requested address.  Am I on the wrong track entirely?  What should I be
> changing?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowd

modify the cupsd.conf file (which by the way in my Debian system is quite well
documented)
I can't vouch for how secure it is, and I am no expert on cups but I can vouch
that it works.
mine has under Browsing options:

Browsing ON
BrowseAddress @LOCAL (which allows anything connected to a local link ie eth0)