[plug] iptables rules

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue May 20 15:59:01 WST 2003

I do not use REJECT but instead use DROP as I understand there is no reply whereas with REJECT there is. What I have is several ports that states filtered and this I do not want to see when a port scan takes place.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

James Devenish wrote:

>I don't know about nmap, but dropping all traffic is NOT the same as
>'not even being there'. If there is no machine there, ICMP responses
>will be sent (to the tune of 'host unreachable'). If a machine drops
>all packets and no ICMP is sent, then that says 'either my ISP can't
>talk to the Internet properly or I have a precious machine that I am
>trying to hide'.

Well that is debatable.  If the last router/machine the data went
through is on the same network subnet, then it generally just times out
and doesn't give a destination host unreachable.  Its irrelevant anyway,
as Jon was asking how to specifically hide ports from nmap.  There are
of course other ways of finding out whether a machine exists or not, but
this is purely based on nmap discovery.

>(a) If you are running public services on an unfirewalled machine but
>    don't want them to the public: reconfigure your daemons to stop
>    making their services public.

I'm assuming that Jon probably wants to be able to access certain
services remotely, so hence the need to firewall them.

>(b) If you are running public services but wish to restrict them
>    to only "friendly" hosts: configure your packet filter
>    to issue 'connection refused' to any non-friendly hosts
>    (solves Ben's problem).

Well actually if you say reject with iptables, last time I checked, nmap
still saw it as a firewalled port that was open and not in fact a closed
port.

/ Ben