[plug] anti-spam: anyone using tarpitting successfully?

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Wed May 21 08:33:08 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 10:29, Andrew Furey wrote:
> (A bit late - I was busy all weekend)
>
> > I wonder about smtp tarpitting usefulness in a
> > practical sense - is
> > anyone using it successfully? (how is it set up?)
>
> I presume you're talking about TarProxy (as seen at
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/28/2033230&mode=thread&tid=111
> - and duped at
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/02/1415257&mode=thread&tid=111
> , of course).
>
> It's certainly an interesting idea. I've been
> considering running it on our main server, as we get
> lots of spam for one domain in particular (a whole
> bunch of email aliases).
>
> The only problem I have with it is that it's written
> in Java, and I don't feel like trusting my production
> mailserver to it. If there was a Perl (or similar)
> version I would be a lot happier...
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Teergrubing
http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/usenet/antispam.html

qmail patches
http://www.iidea.pl/~paweln/proj/qmail-patches/

bogofilter
http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/

http://www.martiansoftware.com/tarproxy/doc/plugin-api.html

*amavisd-new, which integrates SpamAssassin (with the Bayesian filter)
as well as virus scanning, as a Postfix content-filter in a large system
http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/LinuxSpam.htm

I think the theory is very interesting, but I have some concerns about
the practice making not just the spammers machine ineffective, but your
own as well (am I right?).  Anyway I look forward to finding out how
successful any trial is.

Cheers,
Daniel.