[plug] What does public opion feel about Riser FS?

Andrew Pamment pamment at iinet.net.au
Wed May 21 16:46:15 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 16:21, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1053502614.29567.1489.camel at abbey>
> on Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:36:56PM +0800, Andrew Pamment wrote:
> > the coolness of it's name.
>
> Don't know about "it's". Sounds like a cheap imitation of "its"! :)

but the name belongs to it. aren't you supposed to poot a commery thing
when something owns something?

oh well i am dumb. but the important point was not to use these inferior
systems for files when reiserfs is the answer to all the earths
problems?

> > and the government.
>
> Resistance is futile.

everything is futile.

> > and also by the judean people's liberation front, but that's
> > not common knowledge.
>
> I suppose you have to kill us all, now that we know too much...

no, i am trusting that you use a file system that will eat your data
(and my messages) and you will forget about that.

> > life goes on.
>
> ...or maybe not! Thanks!

how so? havent you seen dark angel? all their data got eaten and life
went on. it was a bit different kind of life, but it went on. i was
being philosophical, i know this is not the Philosophy League of
Universal Grapes mailing list, but i got to thinking about linux, and i
read all the different messages and they are so very serious. it's all
about security and protecting data and sco's lawsuit, and the future of
linux on the desktop and i thought, hang on, the point of linux is to
have fun, because at the end of the day, our data and our computers are
just stuff and we can't take it with us when we die. now. i know that
different people have different ways of dealing with this terminal
disease of life, for some of them it's about building things, which is
all very well for them, but think about it, at the end of the day it's
about having fun and if your data gets eaten, oh well. i mean think
about it, imagine you were a mad scientist and are inventing a new ray
gun to destroy the moon and send the earth out of orbit creating chaos
and you spent 23 years doing this (it works the same for not mad
scientists who are inventing a new more powerful sun cream) and your
data got eaten, this can happen for any number of reasons, you could be
using XFS, your hard drive vanished without a trace or a lighting bolt
zapped through the window and for some reason hit your data. what do you
do? you would be sad, sure it would be very disappointing. you could
kill yourself and then life wouldn't go on, or you could not and do
something else that was fun, and die a few years from now, knowing that
although you didn't finish your ray gun you had a lot of fun cackling
and setting up bubbly potions to help you concentrate and create a good
atmosphere. anyway, that was my point, data is just data. i better be
quite for a while as i may start to get incoherent as i ran out of
medication, and you need to get back to discussing important things like
sco, bad dreams, tim tams and the difference between PCI-X and PCI
express.

take care
andrew

--
Andrew Pamment
(http: http://members.iinet.net.au/~pamment/) (ICQ: 136239083)

"Abashed the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue
in her shape how lovely; saw, and pined His loss." John Milton.