[plug] Strange kernel messages, is any able to help please?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu May 22 11:32:52 WST 2003

Chris Griffin wrote:
> Well at least they are strange to me. I am getting thousands (I kid you
> not) of the following messages in /var/log/messages
> Can anyone enlighten me as to what they all mean please?
> The box is a Mandrake MNF 8.2 system I am trying to set up. For some
> reason it is also ignoring my custom rules?

Are you on telstra cable? If so, oodles of martians are common (or so I
found when I was connected). You can supress them with a setting in
/proc/sys/ipv4 somewhere.

I can't remember if the source part of the MAC address header goes first
or last. If first, those could be DHCP broadcasts, ARP requests, etc.
Can you do a "tcpdump -i eth0 -s 0 -w /tmp/dump"  and analyse with
ethereal - maybe that'll tell you more.

Craig