[plug] Lindows download mirror

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu May 22 23:00:32 WST 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:48:35PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:

| I was just searching for a Lindows mirror and could not seem to find
| any. Any word on if LindowsOS also includes proprietary parts like
| Xandros or if there any other reason why people aren't sharing it (other
| than of course that Debian is much nicer)

I am under the impression that there is no way to obtain any of Lindows
without paying for it.  Most of the individual programs are, of course,
GPL'ed, but Lindows as a whole is not available without its proprietary
bits, which are in turn AFAIK not available without paying for them.
AIUI even downloading the source to the GPLed bits from the Lindows web
site is only possible if you are a paying customer.

All of this is completely legal within the GPL and most other "free"
licenses, but is most certainly against the spirit of the thing; and, of
course, while there is nothing to stop anyone from sharing any of the
GPL'ed bits of Lindows, there is little point in doing so as the
interesting bits are all widely available from other sources.

Cameron.