[OT] Volkswagen ? was: Re: [plug] What does public opion feel about Riser FS?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri May 23 23:37:14 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 16:09, Harry McNally wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:17:20 +0800 "Dirk" <dirk.modrow at aesltd.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I don't know 100mile range? You would need to recharge between Joondalup and
> > Rockingham ... and the $ I would rather something set upon production costs
> > not simply on speed at that price how can it ever become popular gimi a
> > Porsche any day :)
>
> > > Petrol is soooo 20th century :-)
>
> Hi Dirk
>
> Porsches are soooo 1980's "entremanures" :-P <chuckle>
>
> Actually I did email for the price of the controller and 200HP motor several years ago and the price is for a hand-built production prototype; US$35000. So a conversion isn't a weekend project for someone on a Porsche budget ;)
>
> Harry

I'd like to see the hydrogen cars become commonplace. You can make
hydrogen from water and sunlight.

Check out:

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/750hl.htm

The biggest problem (apart from their being no where to fill up) is
keeping the liquid hydrogen cool. The tanks in the hydrogen powered
BWM's have layers and layers of fiber-glass and aluminum.

Perhaps one day the car is coated in a solar panel surface with the
extra strength ended by the new control over light and heat we now have.

(http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993750)

You will the tank up with the garden hose attached to a filter.

I'm sure the government (fuel excise) and all the oil companies will be
really happy. The gov will prolly just introduce some other tax e.g the
increase the rego.

I think a good think cycle type project would be a develop a standard
car architecture like we have for PC's. I know it would be ALOT more
complex but it still would be cool if nearly all cars could use the same
parts and the standard was hydrogen power.

You really gotta ask why we keep building all this ridiculous coal or
nuclear plants etc.

regards,

Chris Caston

-If there are not enough hours in the day, there is always long into the
night.