[plug] Linux ideology

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon May 26 12:12:42 WST 2003

> How would you rate CinePaint nee FilmGIMP?
>
>     http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/
>
> ....while it's targetted at moviemaking, it does actually address some of
> your issues (e.g. CMYK, 16/48-bit colour etc).

I'll have a look, but the FAQ doesn't look promising:

http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/user/faq.html
# What's the difference between CinePaint and Photoshop?

The base functionality is similar, but Adobe Photoshop doesn't include
the special features that CinePaint has for working with motion pictures
and film. CinePaint has higher color fidelity -- supporting 16-bit
channels, plus a frame manager and a flipbook movie player.

Photoshop is more mature as an application, with a more pleasing user
interface, support for color spaces, and CMYK. These areas are being
improved in CinePaint.

# How does CinePaint do scanning, screenshots, and printing?

Those features aren't presently available. The GIMP plug-ins are being
ported over. If you have other software to create 48-bit scans, which
may come with your scanner, CinePaint is one of the few programs that
can manipulate the resultant files.

Craig