[plug] Linux ideology

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 26 12:08:47 WST 2003

In message <200305261150.29353.leon at brooks.fdns.net>
on Mon, May 26, 2003 at 11:50:29AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

Hmm...looks tempting. Is it a superset of GIMP, or should it really be
considered separate? I always use PhotoShop in preference to GIMP,
because I find GIMP counter-productive and frustrating (though the
GIMP's algorithmic diversity amazes me). I have only tried GIMP 2 a
little bit because of (a) plug-in availability (b) at the time I tried,
it seemed to have 64-bit platform problems (and, strangely, seemed to be
designed to frustrate debugging -- the opposite of the developers'
intent, I'm sure) (c) my colleagues would either be using PhotoShop for
GIMP 1. It looks like CinePaint is guaranteed to work on 64-bit
platforms.

CinePaint does have slightly appeal for me, in replacing custom software
for high bit-depth images. I would be interested to see whether I could
replace the custom software with CinePaint extensions. For general image
editing, though, I suspect I'd still prefer to use PhotoShop whenever it
is available and whenever it is capable.