[plug] Linux ideology (was: EduBDO/SIGfest)

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 27 10:35:33 WST 2003

Leon Brooks and Chris Caston exchanged views on Linux, FOSS and various
applications in the education field including a comment that we should be
[showing] "the benefits to education that open source software has."

A couple of interesting applications in KDE's "Edutainment" offering are
worth noting, I think.   The  Interactive Geometry programme yields
fascinating insights into the relationship between geometrical concepts,
such as the triangle inscribed in a semicircle is always right-angled
(Circle of Thales).   The plantarium is equally fascinating, being able to
view the night sky from any place on the Earth's surface.   Possibly
best-of-the-breed for me though is the Kalzium periodic table programme --
if I'd had access to that in High School...

To make this more on-Linux-topic, the above, Kalzium especially, is
available in KDE 3.1 and later.  Under Debian woody, only KDE 3.0 is
seen.   Any probs in taking stuff from the testing/unstable trees (of
Debian) and applying it to woody?   I guess what I'm asking is "if there
are problems, how do I regress such a move?"   If the new stuff is
versioned, there should not be any problem -- simply dpkg --purge the
appropriate versioned debs.  Yes?  No?  Not that easy??

Cheers,
Denis