[plug] Linux ideology (was: EduBDO/SIGfest)

Adrian Blockley a.blockley at poboxes.com
Tue May 27 21:31:53 WST 2003

Was it Einstein that said if I have been able to see further than others it is because I have stood on the shoulder of giants? Anyway it seems to me that education and much of the scientific process is built upon the work of others and through collaboration. This sounds very similar to the open source philosophy. I think the tools and the opportunities are there I guess its up to us how we make use of them.

Just adding my 2c worth.

Adrian

On Tue, 27 May 2003 12:05:26 +0800
James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>  In message <20030527035757.GE31111 at postoffice.wa.bom.gov.au>
>  on Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:57:57AM +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
>  > I think it's appropriate that the title of this is "Linux Ideology".
>
>  One reason for my follow-up to my original post about Kalzium :)
>  What I originally wrote (and I think I deleted it) was that if you want
>  to show the benefits of open source software for education, surely you
>  need to be "competing" on availability and competance, rather than
>  merely presence.
>
>  > While some of your points are good, the answer to all of them is "you
>  > have the source". If these things are important to you,
>
>  Unfortunately, they're not. I dread the day that someone asks
>  me to explain why I'm still subscribed to this list!
>
>  > (The fortune below was randomly selected. Honestly.)
>  > Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow.
>
>  LOL.

Adrian  Blockley
32 Darwinia Loop
Canningvale WA, 6155