[plug] File extension .nfo

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Tue May 27 23:06:20 WST 2003

What are .NFO, .TXT, .MD5... files? [Keikai]

.NFO, .TXT:
These files are generally plain text and can be read in any text editor. They contain whatever supplementary information the poster wants to include. This includes credits for the work done to produce the post, any special information about the file being posted or the post itself, and, most importantly, the posters policies regarding fills and reposts. Because of this, it is essential and expected that you read any accompanying .nfo or .txt file before making any requests either publically or privately. In many cases, you will be ignored or killfiled if the poster feels you have not read their policies. (Some posters, instead of or in addition to posting this file, post a 00/part with the post that contain similar information. If available, this should be read as well.)

From:
http://abma.x-maru.org/faq/plain/formats.linux.php
via http://www.google.com.au/linux?num=50&restrict=linux&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=.nfo+file+extension&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3Dlang_en
HTH