[plug] Restricting web access to specific users

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 28 11:45:06 WST 2003

Someone on another list just asked a question which has rather intrigued me.
The guy has an "always on" ADSL connection to his single computer - a Linux
box. He wants to stop his kids using the internet - everything, WWW, IM,
Email, etc. - when he's at work, but he wants his wife to be able to use it.

If he had dialup, he could set permissions on the device file the modem is
connected to. That won't work for an "always on" connection.

Is there a way of restricting access to an ethernet interface based on user
id?

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,