[plug] re: RHL Professional

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu May 29 10:18:01 WST 2003

Ben Jensz wrote:

> Well if something was certified to run on Red Hat 7.2, I'd expect it
> to run fine on Red Hat 7.3 as well.  Major version numbers may be
> different, but minor versions shouldn't be a problem really.  If there
> are significant changes in a minor version... then really it shouldn't
> be a minor version.  Just like Red Hat thought there were too many
> major improvements/upgrades in 9.0 over 8.0 to call it 8.1.
>

> / Ben

According to someting from a senior rh engineer I read when 9 first came
out, a point release means binary compatability has been retained.  If
binary compatability has been broken, it means a new major version no.
 According to that, a point release should be a mostly hassle free
update without breaking any apps... mostly... maybe?...

Tim Bowden