[plug] ssh tunnel - two way street?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 30 11:07:45 WST 2003

In message <1054263706.2937.7.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:01:46AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> What I want to know is, can machine C on the same network as machine B,
> connect to the end tunnel port on machine B and end up back at machine
> A?

Yes, but only in certain circumstances. In general, apps can't "take
over" a port that is in use. But, if you were to create a tunnel between
C and B such that one end of the tunnel is on B's TCP port X, then you
could create a subsequent tunnel between B and A involving port X,
thus establishing a connection between A and C via B.