NBD - was Re: [plug] date and time

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 30 13:05:04 WST 2003

At 17:25 28/05/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>>>soon have 2 drives in that box fail at the same time. At least I keep
>>>good backups - NBD + DDS4 = great whole-partition system images for
>>>quick server rebuilds.
>>Errr... NBD?   As in Network Block Device?
>
>Yeah. Very nice indeed...
>
>craig at bucket: nbd-server /dev/hda1 15001
>craig at albert: nbd-client 10.0.0.4 15001 dev/nbd/1
>craig at albert: cp /dev/nbd/1 /dev/st0
>
>rather nicer than piping through an ssh tunnel (which is more than a tad
>slow...) and allows you to use something that'll write to character
>devices like tapes happily.
>
>:-)

Sorry Craig -- didn't see your reply earlier.   Bernd's just brought it to
my attention.   Certainly looks attractive, will give it a go for
sure.   So on the "replay" side when you want to rebuild a server (or
workstation) partition I presume you boot from a rescue floppy and reverse
the process a la
cp /dev/st0 /device/and/partition/to/restore ?

Would "dd" have advantages or is "cp" safer because it makes no assumptions
about good/bad sectors on the disk?

Cheers,
Denis