[plug] re : where is acrread?

richard yellin rhyellin at webtec.net.au
Mon Nov 3 20:22:32 WST 2003

Hi!   I hope someone can help?

Using RH 9 (Gnome) and Opera 7.11, I d/loaded "xpdf-2.03-linux.tar.gz" and
installed it ok (according to it's install file) and the "xpdf file.pdf"
command works (I'm chuffed by the install working as it installs
differently to the usual). I wanted to see if this version avoided the
"DeAssocNavigator" problem that RH 9 has with it's v of xpdf - it does.

I now need help with Acrobat5, and where it went to, after what seemed to
be (to me) a correct install.

I d/loaded file "linux-508.tar.gz" and untarred and unfeathered it ok into
five ./ FILES,   ie "./COMMON.TAR; ./INSTALL; ./README; ./LICREAD.TXT and
./LINUXRDR.TAR.

Anyhow, following the instructions  in ./README to "Install Reader 5.0.8 by
running the INSTALL script", I interpreted that to mean to type "./INSTALL"
which then said "Enter installation directory for Acrobat5
[/usr/local/Acrobat5]"   I then made a typo : I typed "cd
/usr/localAcrobat5"  ie left out a "/", entered it and it asked
"[/usr/localAcrobat5] does not exist        do you want to create it now
[Y]"    and not thinking I hit "y".
All the above in "su",of course

Now Acrobat5 doesn't appear accessible (with acroread).   Actually, I
repeated the install with [/usr/local/Acrobat5] but again, "acroread"
didn't work either.

How can I get out of this mess?  Has it got something to do with Ryan's
question re: Gnome "File types and programs" behaviour on Thurs?
--
regards
richard