[plug] Alternative Data Streams (From OT)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 4 12:07:44 WST 2003

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:05:56AM +0800, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
> | AFAIK, nope. The Linux VFS doesnt support it.
>
> I see no reason why it shouldn't.

While I imagine it could, it'd be hard to fit into the existing
namespace. How do you ID a stream - you can't re-use any of the existing
legal characters. I'd probably do it by allowing the user to "cd" into a
directory, reiser4 style, if I had to:

	dir1/dir2/file/stream

After all, given the wide set of allowed filename chars in UNIX there
isn't anything you can borrow for the purpose. Anyway, IMHO "sub-files"
makes more sense anyway and eliminates the problems NT has with
alternate streams being invisible to apps. Reiser4 should make this
possible with the right plugin(s).

> Didn't Craig give an example earlier
> of how the Linux NTFS driver supported it?

Nope. I was talking about the smbfs driver, which accesses NT
filesystems over the network. I expect it works because smbfs doesn't
care how the remote system interprets the path - it asks for
'filename:blah' and the remote system interprets that as a request for a
stream.

Craig Ringer