[plug] Novell buys out SuSE

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 12:42:47 WST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 12:05, John Knight wrote:
> Sure, some left wing hippy is gonna whinge his head off, but serious
> corporate power could be good, IBM see the potential, flamewars here we go,
> eh?

There's nothing but complaining on the SUSE list - and a lot of it. A few
sensible people are saying let's wait and see, but most clearly hate the
idea.

SUSE always had the feel of a small, privately run company, mostly influenced
by technical issues and not, for the most part, by marketing or money men.
The fact that they cared about the product first and foremost was one of the
reasons for their rise. Even Red Hat, the paragon of free software,
eventually sold out to the enterprise market the money men so yearn for. It's
hard to imagine Novel/SUSE not doing the same. The "community market" just
isn't worth the time when the enterprise market is so much more lucrative.

I'm in the "let's wait and see" camp, but I'm deeply sceptical...

--
> eatapple
core dump