[plug] Red Hat CEO says you should buy Windows if you're a home user!

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 5 14:38:17 WST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 14:26, Bret Busby wrote:

> So that's why Red Hat is abandoning Red Hat Linux - Red Hat reckons it's
> Linux is no good?

Oh, come on! As wonderful as Linux is, it DOES still have a long way to go
until your average Joe can do everything as easily as Windows. I'm slowly
converting my Dad's (an average computer illiterate) home PCs to Linux, but
I'd hate to see him try and survive without Family Tech Support a call
away...

Ignoring the small issues, there is also the "Games" issue. Home PCs are often
used for games, and Linux still can't do that easily, for the majority of
games! And no, ktuberling is not a substitute for Half-Life 2... ^_^

Linux IS getting there, though. It can do many of the common tasks, and is a
good, safe-ish environment to do those things in. A decent desktop + Mozilla
+ OOo 1.1 gets you a long way, but it isn't complete, and it isn't as easy as
Windows, as much as it pains me to say it.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |