[plug] Red Hat CEO says you should buy Windows if you're a home user!

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Nov 5 15:13:35 WST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 02:38:17PM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
| but I'd hate to see him try and survive without Family Tech Support a
| call away...

You're right, of course - but my experience is that Windows-using people
also tend to rely on their resident computer geek for tech support.

| Linux IS getting there, though. It can do many of the common tasks, and is a
| good, safe-ish environment to do those things in. A decent desktop + Mozilla
| + OOo 1.1 gets you a long way, but it isn't complete, and it isn't as easy as
| Windows, as much as it pains me to say it.

It's better to acknowledge what the problems are and work on improving
them than to bury your head in the sand, ostrich-style, and hope the
problem disappears.

<off-list>
| . Trevor Phillips             -           http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/ .
| : Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| | IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |

Hmm... so you'd be the right person to harass about getting a
non-ancient version of PuTTY that doesn't choke on UTF8 installed in the
Murdoch computer labs?
</off-list>

Cameron.