[plug] FW: [Mono-list] Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire SUSE Linux (fwd)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Nov 5 17:39:17 WST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:28:58PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| In message <20031105091640.GE5442 at erdos.home>
| on Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:16:40PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| > My point was that it would be nice not to have to bother. Macintosh
| > and Windows programs generally manage to look fairly consistent
| > without having to resort to fiddling with themes for two different GUI
| > toolkits.
|
| I take it that you don't do GUI programming!

I have done a little bit of GUI programming under Windows and also Linux
using GTK.

| (Apples to oranges comparison.)

Hmph.  They're both fruit even though they have different shapes,
colours, texture and taste.  For any further comparison I'd have to ask
a biologist ;-)

| If anything, the reason Mac and Windows programmes have
| consensus on the base appearance is that there is ONE system layer for
| drawing buttons, windows, etc., and all the toolkits are at least a
| level above that.

I realise this.  (Although the GIMP for Windows draws all its own
widgets, GTK-style.  And as Craig pointed out, some native Windows apps
try to be trendy and draw everything themselves, too.)

| With X11, you start from a much lower level. For the
| purposes of this argument, GNOME and KDE are at about the same level as
| Aqua/Windows, so try replacing "GNOME" with "Mac OS" and "KDE" with
| "Windows" and see just how much "fiddling with themes for two different
| GUI toolkits" you have to do.

However, one does not usually see Mac OS and Windows windows displayed
simultaneously on one monitor.  From an internal programmer-y
perspective what you're saying makes sense, but to someone who just
wants to use the thing, it doesn't really matter /why/ things look
different.

Cameron.