[plug] Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning (fwd)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 5 17:56:35 WST 2003

> As a person who receives around 100 spam messages a day, and who has to
> waste time each day, modifying spam filters, and creating new filters to
> deal with the mutating spam

Validation of the domains of incoming mail, the use of SpamAssassin, and
Mozilla as a mail reader make spam something I don't really see anymore.

*beep* you have new mail... no wait, forget that.

Due to the way I handle it, no mail is ever lost or automatically
deleted either. I just scan down the subjects and From: addresses in the
spam box every few days, then move it into storage.

I've got most of the staff here storing their spam in a public IMAP
folder. Why? Because someday, I'm sure it'll be very useful for
statistical purposes - say, improving mail filters. That's a scary mailbox.

# du -ms /var/spool/imap/public/Junk/
45       /var/spool/imap/public/Junk

> leading to the policy that spammers should
> be executed, or kneecapped (and the same done to their elbows and
> wrists), or locked up in a dark room with no modern conveniences,
> like warmth or light or cooked food, for the rest of their lives, I
> apparently misconstrued the reference.

Heh. I reserve that kind of hate for script kiddies personally.

Craig Ringer