[plug] Are we at 'war' with Microsoft?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Nov 7 17:29:04 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 16:59, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 18:51, Chris Caston wrote:
> > The customer was so impressed he stopped bugging me to get him a pirate
> > copy of Office. I really hate it when they do that.
>
> My standard response to that is:
>         "What, sorry, I didn't hear you.", they repeat, I say: "Sorry,
>         say again, I'm getting a little hard of hearing."
>
> If they persist, I go on to say:
>         "Have you got $50,000, because that's what the BSA will pay me
>         for installing illegal software on your machine..."
> Generally it stops at that point.

Yeah,

I gave my ex-girlfriend OpenOffice.org about a year ago when I was going
out with her and about 3 months ago she called me back to help her
replace a broken monitor and clean up Welchia. I found out that she had
previously called another technician in who had removed OO.o from her
machine and installed a pirate copy of MS Office2k. Luckily there were
other traits about him that she didn't like so she called me back
instead.

I went to one customers place recently (that complained about their ADSL
connection not working) to find that some other clod-technician had
fried her motherboards inbuilt nic and pci ports and killed the link
light (or worse) on the adcatel ethernet adsl modem by by plugging it
into a usb -> ethernet converter and THEN plugging that into the inbuilt
ethernet port .. I didn't even know they could fit there *eeek!*

regards,

Chris