[plug] Martian source

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Nov 9 03:14:33 WST 2003

Lately I've seen martian source enty in the /var/log/messages.  I understand that they have to do with the kernel thinking they are spoofed or incorrect.  Is there a way to stop them (I've changed the value in /etc/sysctl.conf to 0 for the rp_filter line) but the message is still there.
We are getting these from within the VPN and the source ip address is not what it should be. That is it's not from the VPN but from obviously spoofed ip addresses.  Does anyone know of a way to 1) kill these off or do I need to do something else.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby