Gardening :) Re: [plug] Cooking :)

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Sun Nov 9 18:27:36 WST 2003

> whilst off topic and still not getting spanked.. I love this list :)
> I "had" a castor oil plant growing in my backyard a few weeks ago..
>
> it is a pretty tree like weed, that I hear the round burr type
> buds/fruit/flowers? are totally toxic.. ie people used to use the
> sap to make poison for their spears..

Yep Castor oil plant is usually the first plant to colonise any vacant piece of
dirt and is highly toxic.

> Given I eat many things randomly growing in my yard..
> I guess I had better be a little careful.

Very. So is Oleander, nice pink and white flowers, don't stir your tea with a
twig of it and moonlight lilly or angels' trumpet, just the scent of which
wafting through your open bedroom window is enough to make you ill.

Chemical warfare in our own backyard.

Alex