[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Nov 10 02:08:23 WST 2003

Hiya all,

I'm having a bit of a tricky (and annoying problem) with my Debian Sid
box at the moment. After a recent reboot due to a lockup my network has
stoped working and complains that I'm trying to configure more than one
address for loopback. Without loopback my subsequent attempts to get an
IP by dhcp fail for eth0. I did a search through the boot logs and the
card is being detected however when it comes to configuring the network
it says :-

Configuring network interfaces... ifconfig: only one address alowed for
interface 'lo'
Usage: ifconfig [OPTION] ...

The /etc/network/interfaces looks fine (the devices are only being
specified once). When I specified a static address for eth0 it spit out
the same message fopr it as above.

I know it has got to be something simple that is wrong here but I can't
see what it is.

Can anyone help to shine some light on this ??? Google hasn't really
helped me on this so far.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Hunt

P.S. I booted the system with a live CD that I had lying around and that
configured the network fine and everything was working so it appears not
to be hardware.