[plug] How does my IP address get to china?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 10 14:44:31 WST 2003

In message <20031110055303.GA2821 at erdos.home>
on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 01:53:03PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | Fair enough - I didn't know IT hosted the mirror. Is the ident request part
> | of some sort of verification (I'm gessing at updating log files)? Obviously
> | it didn't make any difference that I blocked the request.
>
> It's a way of getting extra information for logging, I believe.

Also useful for authentication/identification in the days when users
weren't sysadmins. Daemons for several of the well-known protocols (such
as FTP and SMTP) use of identd for logging purposes and friendly
answerbacks (and SMTP Received headers). Could have been used for
authentication in the days when the Internet was "safe" ;-) It is also
handy for multi-user systems, though its utility is limited by the fact
that it is easily circumvented.