[plug] Interface not being brought up on bootup

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 10 17:46:54 WST 2003

In message <20031110093721.GH3569 at erdos.home>
on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 05:37:21PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> It might still break backwards compatibility in other packages which
> assume that ifupdown works vaguely like netkit ifupdown does.

I'm just talking through my ar5e anyway, since I don't know the
specifics of any of this stuff, but AFAIK you meant to say 'ifconfig'
instead of 'ifupdown'. If that is the case, then I would say that (a)
this is not a problem for official Debian packages because all
netkit-dependent packages could be identified and updated for the new
netkit path (b) for non-Debian packages, any use of ifconfig would
break, *so* netkit's ifconfig would have to be the default setting out
of all the available alternatives. If any admin is crazy enough to
change over to the GNU ifconfig then they probably deserve (and would
already be aware of) what they will get.