[plug] Do you use aliases to speed up apt-usage?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 11:22:23 WST 2003

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 00:07, Chris Caston wrote:
> I just added:
>
> alias ac='apt-cache'
> alias ag='apt-get'
>
> to /root/.bashrc
>
> I was going to make an alias for every common apt option but I thought
> it would be too much of a pain to remember all the acronyms.
>
> Does anyone else uses aliases to speed up apt usage and if so which
> ones?

No need; I use feta. It's not in base Woody, though, but for Testing or later,
just "apt-get install feta".

  Feta is a front end to various package management tools like dpkg, APT, and
  debconf. Feta provides a wrapper around these and other programs and
  tries to smooth out some of the inconsistencies between their normal
  interfaces. It also includes a teaching mode to help people learn to use
  the programs directly.

It can also be configured to use sudo for those cmds which need root. I find
it very handy... Most commands are intuitive substitutes for the existing
apt-get & apt-cache commands:
  apt-get install  => feta install
  apt-cache search => feta search
etc...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |