[plug] PAM and authorization identifiers

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 15:14:51 WST 2003

In message <3FB0894D.8020507 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:01:33PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I'd like to be able to authenticate as 'root' to log in as any user,

I wonder if Linux auth can utilise 'classes' like BSD auth. If so, dream
up an arbitrary class name for root auth. If PAM supports this, you
could probably log in to GDM/KDM using username 'craig:root' with user
'root's password (where ':root' is used to twiddle the login class --
the user that gets logged in will be 'craig', not 'craig:root'). You
might also have this 'root' class do something like send you mail when
it is invoked. You could extend the idea arbitrarily to 'craig:manager'
so that your "manager" can log in as you ;-))