[plug] Aint it the truth !

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 10:08:42 WST 2003

At 09:44 12/11/2003 +0800, Kai wrote:
>I think this is on topic enough not to post to off-topic.
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12603

(Link refers to MS wanting to buy Google with intention to knobble it, thus
reducing the availability of Linux-related material on the web.   Compared
searching for "Linux Windows" in Google vs MSN, with MSN managing only 18
hits.)

Nah.. I think MSN's just dumbed-down full stop.   Try searching for pretty
much anything - either their search bots aren't up to it or there's some
other reason the number of hits just doesn't measure up.   My section at
UWA does research work in various drugs... search "naltrexone" on MSN gives
16672 whereas Google chimed in with 87500.   I thought it might be some
sort of "net nanny" effect but try "australia" and you'll see 40 million
plus for Google, 1727 - that is NOT a typo - for MSN.

Linux-related queries such as "linux howto" and "linux security" brought
forth a few responses but not the flood you get from Google.   So people
sufficiently determined to check out Linux, albeit from MSN, do have a
faint chance :-)

Shrug,
Denis